[Tutor] definition of a library

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:34:50 -0500

I've seen the word "library" used in the context of software code since
before I can remember.  I've never really known what it is.  So I
googled...

...according to webopedia.internet.com, a library has two definitions:

(1) A collection of files.

(2) In programming, a library is a collection of precompiled routines
that a program can use. The routines, sometimes called modules, are
stored in object format. Libraries are particularly useful for storing
frequently used routines because you do not need to explicitly link them
to every program that uses them. The linker automatically looks in
libraries for routines that it does not find elsewhere. In MS-Windows
environments, library files have a .DLL extension.

I'm referring to the second definition, when I ask my question -- are
there libraries in Python?  Does the Python binary know where to search
for this code, or do I need to import it as I do with modules?  Are
libraries in Python generally in already-compiled form (as described in
the second definition) or are they generally raw source code?

Thank you.

Erik