[Tutor] A new comer

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 21:31:08 -0000

> the other big thing that catches people is in C++ the
> variable *this is implicit and you almost never see it.

Hmm, in my (limited(*)) experience most industrial IT departments
have coding guidlines that insist you use this-> in front of
every class member/method to make it obvious that its a class
thing and not a local function name.

eg:

class foo{
private:
	int x,y;
public:
 doit(int p)
 {
   int z = 0;
   z = p + this->y;
   return this->x/this->y;
 }
};

So using self is only a minor hiccup.
use of unreferenced members is one of the most confusing
features of C++ programs to a maintenance progammer, and
a bigger source of frustration that anything else when
dealing with deep class heirarchies!

Alan g.

(*)I've only seen 3 different company C++ standards!