[Tutor] [OT] TECO and Emacs (Was: pair programming.)

Kalle Svensson kalle@lysator.liu.se
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:52:48 +0200

[alan.gauld@bt.com]
> > > thing I can say about Tico is that it was so bad it drove
> > > James Gosling to invent the original Emacs!

[me]
> > I think you mean TECO.  Also, Gosling didn't write the first Emacs.
> > Richard M. Stallman did that, merging two existing TECO macro
> > packages.  Gosling wrote the first implementation of Emacs in C.

[alan again]
> I wondered who would bite :-) but I beg to differ.
>
> Gosling wrote his "Editing MACroS" package in TECO macro language.
> Stallman used it at MIT and wrote the first C/Lisp emacs vesion.

Have you got any web pages or other references supporting your
version?  I didn't find any (admittedly, I didn't look very hard).  On
the other hand, I found several supporting mine:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/emacs-timeline.html
http://www.abc.se/~jp/articles/computer/editor/emacshis.txt
http://www.lysator.liu.se/history/garb/txt/87-1-emacs.txt
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CategoryHistory

Only one of the pages above is explicitly written by RMS, and one is
written by Jamie Zawinski (lead developer of Lucid Emacs, not known
for his love of RMS).

But as I was -4 years old in 1976, I obviously don't have any
first-hand information.  I might well be wrong.

Peace,
  Kalle
--
Kalle Svensson, http://www.juckapan.org/~kalle/
Student, root and saint in the Church of Emacs.