[Tutor] [Tutor]: Totally laughable basic questions (fwd)

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:16:08 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:56:09 -0500
From: kirk Bailey <idiot1@netzero.net>
To: Danny Yoo <dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [Tutor] [Tutor]: Totally laughable basic questions

Danny is right, this IS the place to ask basic questions. I am DEEPLY
impresed with the quality of support this service offers. When you as
something basic, any number may play, and I may even crop up with a
tidbit- not always right, but often. And when it gets into Phd country
(Piled Higher & deeper), We have people like Danny and other MAVENS of
snake charming. So fire away.

Danny Yoo wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Wesley Chun wrote:
>
> > > What is more embarrassing (for me at least) is knowing when (AND
> > WHY!) to > use a dictionary, a tuple, a string object, etc. > And when
> > (AND WHY!) to slice, dice, concatenate, or otherwise fr*g with the >
> > contents of these groups.
> >
> > good question.  software engineers are just problem-solvers and these
> > are the tools they can use to help them achieve their goals.  as
>
> By the way, if you see a bit of code that looks totally weird, if it's
> short, please feel free to post it to Tutor and ask questions about it.
> We'd be happy to talk about the code, and guess why the author chose a
> certain data structure over another.
>
> > un4tunately, these things take time and experience for which there is
> > no experience for.  i would suggest you take a few simple problems and
> > use Python to help solve them.  that will give you a quick-start on
> > the road to programming!!
>
> Fiddling around with examples should be very helpful.  There's a lot of
> sample code that we can grab, and we can do experiments with it.  There's
> a lot of good code in Useless Python:
>
>     http://lowerstandard.com/python
>
> so take something that looks interesting to you, and see if it makes sense
> inside.
>
> > > Maybe Python-Tutor is not the place for these type of questions, and if
> > > so, I apologise. If some kind soul out in Pythonland is aware of
> > > completely pre-basic tutors that can help me out with various elementary
> > > programming concepts I would be most grateful.
>
> No, no, please feel free to ask your questions on Tutor.  If you notice
> that the traffic on Tutor is getting very "theoretical", that just
> probably means that we're hoping that someone will step in and tell us
> that we're not making any sense.  *grin*
>
> Anyway, hope to hear from you soon.  Good luck!

 -Respectfully,
              -Kirk D Bailey
               Consulting Loose Cannon

end