[Tutor] how to get complete output in interpreter?

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:50:50 -0500

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 06:14:51PM +0100, Christian Ebert wrote:
| Hello there,
|
| Is there an upper limit to the (lines of?) print statements
| in the interpreter?

No.  There is a limit to the size of your screen, though.

| As I don't want to bother with a gui yet I use the
| interpreter as interface for a little "database". Everything
| works fine, except when I print a "long" result of a query.
| The interpreter then truncates the result at the top and
| displays only a certain amount of lines. It's not due to an
| error in the script because when I write the result to a
| file it's all there. Splitting into several print statements
| doesn't make any difference either.

If you have a *nix style system (OS X) you can pipe the output through
a pager so that you can scroll through all the output.

| Anybody knows how to change this? Or is it a MacPython issue
| (I will ask on the macpython list then)?

It is an environment issue.  I know that on win9x, the "DOS shell"
window only gives around 24 or 25 lines and no scrollback.  In win2k,
the user can configure how many lines of scrollback to remember.  Then
he can scroll up and see what he missed (up to a point).  The same
goes for the X-based terminal emulators I've used.  I haven't used
MacOS in many years, and when I did I knew very little about
computers.  If you have OS X, though, it is the best yet since it is
based on an *BSD kernel (OpenBSD I think).

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."