[Tutor] IP numbers and Python

Rick Pasotto rickp@telocity.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:16:53 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 09:01:29PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 02:19:38PM -0600, Kojo Idrissa wrote:
> | On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:54:01 -0800
> | >Another alternative is a self-contained router. I've seen a 4-port
> | >from LinkSys that has a firewall for a couple-hundred dollars.  Has
> | >a nice browser-based interface, etc.
> |
> | I saw one of these at my local MicroCenter.  $99 for a four port-er.
> | I'm in the process of building a home network and I considered
> | getting one to share my DSL with the network.
>
> At a local shop one can obtain a Pentium-class machine (ie P133, 48MB
> RAM, couple hundred MB hard drive, NIC, case, power supply) for $99 or
> less (depends on the exact specs).  If you wanted to, you could put a
> *nix system on it and have full control over your firewall.  You would
> also want to get a hub or switch to connect the rest of the LAN to it.

I suspect that a Linksys type router uses significantly less electricity
than your P133 and since it has no moving parts is less likely to break
down. It's also much smaller and less hackable from the outside. Unless
you want the experience and consequent knowledge of setting up your own
firewall, the Linksys seems the wiser choice.

(And they are readily available for only $79.)

--
"Once the principle of government -- judicial monopoly and the power
 to tax -- is incorrectly accepted as just, any notion of restraining