[Tutor] omit some keys from dict

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:10:12 -0800 (PST)

> I see this acronym all the time, but I'm not terribly sure of what it
> is:  API.  If I'm not mistaken, IDE is like a program that allows you to
> code more easily than plaintext file editing (Integrated Development
> Environment), and API means "application programming interface" or
> something like that.  How is an API different from an IDE?

API means "Application Programming Interface".  It is the specification used to
write code that talks to another piece of code.  The python C extension API
defines how to write code that can be linked with python and thus make
something that is transparent to the user.  Several modules that you import are
written in C and you never knew it.

An IDE is a piece of software.  It exists and there can be multiple versions of
it.  IDEs are usually a group of components (text editor, debugger, resource
editor, etc) which work together.

Think of API as a wiring diagram.  As long as all of the blue wires connect to
these other wires things work fine.  An IDE would be some nifty piece of
software which helps you design wiring schematics.

> PS:   And while we're on the subject of IDEs, is IDLE available for Mac
> OS X in Aqua (not X11)?  I haven't seen anything about it but then maybe
> I just didn't look hard enough.

IDLE uses Tk I believe, so as long as tk works on OS X you should be fine.