[Tutor] graphing with Python

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 14:05:23 -0800

At 02:55 PM 2/5/2002 -0500, Pijus Virketis wrote:
>I found this site with a lecture by Kirby Urner about some basic
>calculus and graphing with POVray:
>
>http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/precalc.html
>
>That stuff looks to be quite fun. However, I think for my purposes,
>POVray is a bit too involved, and serious overkill. Are there
>smaller packages out there? All I need is to quickly plot e**sin(n)
>and things of that sort, not industrial strenght graphing.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Pijus

Yes, much as I appreciate the positive reviews of my
Povray-based approach, I think you'll find other tools
that do the quick and dirty graphing thing more easily.
The Povray approach I use makes sense because, whereas
I do graphs, I also do polyhedra and such, i.e. take
advantage of the spatial geometry aspects of ray tracing.
Graphs of the kind you're talking about are flat.

I'd be interested in what others suggest as well.  As
I recall, VPython has a graphing function built in --
VPython being a way to interface directly with OpenGL
inside a Tk window.

Kirby