[Tutor] Newbie

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:10:08 +0100

[Ciaguy@aol.com]
> I recently bought "SAMS Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours."  Hour #2
> suggests I sign up for the Tutor mailing list.  How to do this?

instructions there under "Subscribing to Tutor".

> Background: I wish to teach myself to write programs for my
> computer.  I have absolutely no experience.  I am probably around 10
> notches below beginner level.  I am no math whiz.  I am just a 60
> y/o male with only a keen desire to teach myself a programming
> language.

Good!  The desire to learn is required, everything on top of that
(like a computer, or a mailing list like this to ask questions) is
added bonus, but not necessary.

[...]
> Will Python be a good "idiot" user friendly language for self
> teachers, such as myself?  Thanks for any advice or input.

Python is an excellent choise for a first language.  It's remarkably
clear and simple, yet it's powerful enough for writing almost any type
of program.  Also, there is a large and friendly user community that
can be of invaluable assistance to a self teacher.  Good luck to you,
and don't be afraid to ask questions.  The list is here for you!

Peace,
  Kalle
--
Kalle Svensson (kalle@gnupung.net) - Laziness, impatience, hubris: Pick two!