[Tutor] Better (free) IDEs than IDLE for Linux ?

Aztech Guy aztech1200@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 09:53:17 2002

--0-1447068599-1040741523=:37634

 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
programmers. (See "About Face" by Alan Cooper for examples)

[Az] Yes, I have that book. It's good. One nice example is about scroll bars - he argues that the up and down arrowheads on a scroll bar should be adjacent, not at opposite ends of the bar, to reduce mousing. Haven't seen that idea make its way into many apps though. Maybe it requires changes at the toolkit level and would break compatibility in some way.

Sure, it actually sounds like your main need is a good
GUI builder not necesarily an IDE per se...

[Az]  Yes, that's so.

But many folks are unaware of just how powerful the raw Unix

[Az] That's right on the mark. I think its partly because man pages are not as user-friendly as hypertext help of MS WIndows. It kind of forces you to read a lot more than you might need, to solve a small problem, in some cases at least. The man page for bash is a good example. But then again, ultimately, you need to know a lot, if not most, of that stuff anyway. I myself learned UNIX mainly by reading man pages and UNIX manuals from vendors, and trying out commands and scripts, reading and experimenting a lot. The level of automation and productivity increase that can be achieved with even basic stuff like common commands and shell scripting (not to mention Perl, Python, expect, etc.) is unbelievable to someone who hasn't really seen it in action. If only they knew how much it could help them ...

real advantages of IDEs, so in fairness I'll point out
what I thought were valid ones:

So there are a few real advantages to IDEs, and thats fine provided

[Az] Yes, those are real advantages.

I'll make this my last word on this one :-)

[Az]  Thanks, Alan, for the inputs. Me too :-)

--0-1447068599-1040741523=:37634

<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>alan.gauld@bt.com</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>programmers. (See "About Face" by Alan Cooper for examples)<BR></P>
<P>[Az] Yes, I have that book. It's good. One nice example is about scroll bars - he argues that the up and down arrowheads on a scroll bar should be adjacent, not at opposite ends of the bar, to reduce mousing. Haven't seen that idea make its way into many apps though. Maybe it requires changes at the toolkit level and would break compatibility in some way.</P>
<P>Sure, it actually sounds like your main need is a good <BR>GUI builder not necesarily an IDE per se...</P>
<P>[Az]&nbsp; Yes, that's so.</P>
<P>But many folks are unaware of just how powerful the raw Unix <BR></P>
<P>[Az] That's right on the mark. I think its partly because man pages are not as user-friendly as hypertext help of MS WIndows. It kind of forces you to read a lot more than you might need, to solve a small problem, in some cases at least. The man page for bash is a good example. But then again, ultimately, you need to know a lot, if not most, of that stuff anyway. I myself learned UNIX mainly by reading man pages and UNIX manuals from vendors, and trying out commands and scripts, reading and experimenting a lot. The level of automation and productivity increase that can be achieved with even basic stuff like common commands and&nbsp;shell scripting (not to mention Perl, Python, expect,&nbsp;etc.) is unbelievable to someone who hasn't really seen it in action. If only they&nbsp;knew how much it could help them ...</P>
<P>real advantages of IDEs, so in fairness I'll point out <BR>what I thought were valid ones:<BR><BR>So there are a few real advantages to IDEs, and thats fine provided </P>
<P>[Az] Yes, those are real advantages.</P>
<P><BR>I'll make this my last word on this one :-)<BR></P>
<P>[Az]&nbsp; Thanks, Alan, for the inputs. Me too :-)</P>
--0-1447068599-1040741523=:37634--