[Tutor] question about python in Emacs [major mode documentation]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 17 14:01:02 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> > anyone can answer.  Is there a way to highlight a block of
> > text and then indent the whole block,
>
> Yes, its standard emacs functionality not python mode per se.
>
> The command is indent-region
>
> Select the region in the normal manner either by mouse otr using the
> keyboard, then type M-x indent-region
>
> Or use the keyboard shortcut, which I can't recall but you can find, as
> usual by typing M-x describe-function indent-region

Hi Issac,

By the way, Emacs provides nice major-mode documentation if you press:

    C-h m

It's invaluable when using any new major-mode, since it gives
documentation to more effectively use Emacs as a programming tool.  In
python-mode, for example, 'C-h m' will give a summary of all the
Python-specific shortcuts.

Good luck!