[Tutor] A slighty off topic question/rant for the experienced.

Jmllr891@cs.com Jmllr891@cs.com
Tue Dec 17 09:45:02 2002

--part1_16.29ea3cdb.2b3091ed_boundary

I'm feeling quite overwhelmed about programming.

I first got into programming with Python because of Eric Raymond's "How to
Become a Hacker FAQ". At the time I was looking to become one of the Matrixy,
super-duper green scrolling code breakers that the intelligence agencies were
always after or something. Now I know what a true hacker is and that's the
path I'm taking.

But anyway, once I started programming and web design it was pretty cool. You
know, I was one of the only people in my small-town prep area my age that
could really do useful stuff with computers (or so I thought). But now that I
am actively reading and learning about computers and technology, I feel so
overwhelmed.

Just last week I was thinking: "Yep, I've got Python down and I know that
it's a solid language that a lot of people use. Once I get through college, I
might be able to get a job knowing Python alone.", but I hadn't planned on
stopping there. I'm also learning Java and C in my spare time.

But now, I get to thinking about how many different technologies there are
and how huge the technology industry is. I thought I was on my way to
becoming a master after I had HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Python down. But
every day I am being bombarded with news about new technologies that seem to
come out of nowhere and popup overnight.

Do I have the current technologies down? Noooo! I also have to learn Perl,
XML, XHTML, DHTML, BTHTML (some new technology that I saw an ad for), and god
only knows what other languages and technologies. My question is where does
it end? How much does the average Joe Smoe have to cram his head with before
he's a wizard hacker? Ugh...I think my brain's gonna explode...

--part1_16.29ea3cdb.2b3091ed_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I'm feeling quite overwhelmed about programming.<BR>
<BR>
I first got into programming with Python because of Eric Raymond's "How to Become a Hacker FAQ". At the time I was looking to become one of the Matrixy, super-duper green scrolling code breakers that the intelligence agencies were always after or something. Now I know what a true hacker is and that's the path I'm taking.<BR>
<BR>
But anyway, once I started programming and web design it was pretty cool. You know, I was one of the only people in my small-town prep area my age that could really do useful stuff with computers (or so I thought). But now that I am actively reading and learning about computers and technology, I feel so overwhelmed.<BR>
<BR>
Just last week I was thinking: "Yep, I've got Python down and I know that it's a solid language that a lot of people use. Once I get through college, I might be able to get a job knowing Python alone.", but I hadn't planned on stopping there. I'm also learning Java and C in my spare time.<BR>
<BR>
But now, I get to thinking about how many different technologies there are and how huge the technology industry is. I thought I was on my way to becoming a master after I had HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Python down. But every day I am being bombarded with news about new technologies that seem to come out of nowhere and popup overnight.<BR>
<BR>
Do I have the current technologies down? Noooo! I also have to learn Perl, XML, XHTML, DHTML, BTHTML (some new technology that I saw an ad for), and god only knows what other languages and technologies. My question is where does it end? How much does the average Joe Smoe have to cram his head with before he's a wizard hacker? Ugh...I think my brain's gonna explode...</FONT></HTML>

--part1_16.29ea3cdb.2b3091ed_boundary--