FW: [Tutor] newbie text parsing question

Rob rob@uselesspython.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:40:23 -0500

Forwarding this message on to the friendly Tutor horde. 3;->

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Nixon [mailto:nixonron@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 11:34 AM
To: Rob
Subject: RE: [Tutor] newbie text parsing question

Rob:

I'd like to code for any situtation, but in this case because of time, I'd
just like to get this file done. I do have a grasp of reading in and writing
out files, processing something like this is altogether different though.
The format of this file contains the same variables for each record. Any
suggestions you could point me to would be appreciated. I'll take a look on
the sites you suggested as well.
 Rob wrote:
There are different ways to get to the solution you're after. Do you want to
code for a situation in which you know you will always expect the same
format to the file, or do you want to account for files that don't have
precisely the same format?

For instance, will you always have only one "Problem:" listed?

Do you already have the grasp of reading and writing files to your
satisfaction? The Tutorial that tends to come ship with Python distributions
(and also easily found at python.org) has a section demonstrating File I/O.

There are also lots of samples out there, at sites like the Vaults of
Parnassus, the Python Cookbook site, and Useless Python.

Rob