[Tutor] Summing up the lambda discussion

Scot W. Stevenson scot@possum.in-berlin.de
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:17:56 +0200

Hi there,

If I understand the comments by the experts here, then the discussion on
lambda could be summed up as following:

1. Python only implements a primitive version of lambdas, robbing this tool
of most of the power it has in other languages such as Scheme [which is a
variant of Lisp?]. Actually, they're kinda neat when done right, and it is
unfair to criticize them based on the Python implementation.

2. Our lambdas are further hamstrung by Python's distinction between
statements and expressions, which isn't a feature of other, more
lambda-friendly languages.

3. Any Python lambda can be replaced by a def statement, tho this requires
extra coding and creates a bound function.

Now this sounds like _everybody_ is frustrated by Python's lambda function:
The experts because it is only a shadow of the lambdas in functional
languages, and the newbies because it somewhat confusing at first in
syntax and use.

So the obvious question seems to be: Are there any plans to either beef up
lambda so it is as useful as in other languages, or to just implement the
Cheese Shop solution and get rid of it alltogether?

Y, Scot

--
Scot W. Stevenson wrote me on Wednesday, 28. Aug 2002 in Zepernick, Germany
       on his happy little Linux system that has been up for 1709 hours