[Tutor] Why lambda could be considered evil

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:44:19 -0400

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 01:55  PM, Danny Yoo wrote:

> If you have some free time, I'd recommend a book called "Structure and
> Interpretation of Computer Programs".  It has a big lambda symbol on
> the
> front cover --- surely, with it, we may be able to elucidate this
> mystery!
> *grin*

I've been recommended to this book before... actually I've heard of it
in many places.  I'll have to check it out.  But -another- programming
language!! ;)  (I'm still getting used to Python!)

> In a language that fully supports lambda, there's no need for a
> separate
> "function definition" syntax, because all we'd need to define
> functions is
> variable assignment and that lambda function constructor.

How is Python deficient compared with these languages?  Does this
restrict a person from using "functional programming" in Python?

> I hope that made some sort of sense.  *grin*  Good luck!

Yes, definitely.  Thanks very much.

Erik