[Tutor] MySQLdb on Windows?

Jeff Childers jchilders@smartITservices.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:49:02 -0400

Danny,

Ah, worked perfectly. So much nicer than those crazy tar.gz files. Thanks!

JC

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Yoo [mailto:dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 5:03 PM
To: J. Childers
Cc: tutor@python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] MySQLdb on Windows?

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, J. Childers wrote:

> What's the trick for getting MySQLdb running on Windows? After spending
several hours prepping
> this weekend I finally got to the installation/setup instructions that
come with MySQLdb only to
> find the following comments in the setup by platform notes:
>
> "Windows installation instructions: I don't do Windows."
>
> Ok, does this module even work under Windows? If so, what do I need to
> do to get it installed properly?

Hello JC,

Yes, it should work under Windows; you probably downloaded the source code
distribution by accident.  Instaed, you'll want to get the 0.9.1
Windows-specific files.  You can find them here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22307&release_id=10289
3

(0.9.2 is new enough that I don't think anyone has had time to package
them for Windows yet; you may want to contact the MySQLdb mailing list to
see if anyone's willing to do this.  You can probably check

and I'm sure someone can help you with this.)

People have contributed packaged modules for Windows which can be run as a
regular installer.  Since you're running Windows, you can ignore those
other 'tar.gz' and 'rpm' Unix/Linux specific files.

You'll want to get one of the following files:

    MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py1.5.exe
    MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py2.0.exe
    MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py2.1.exe
    MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py2.2.exe

The modules are Python version specific, so you'll want to make sure you
get the right one.  Otherwise, everything should be good.

Good luck!