[Tutor] windows and filenames

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:16:11 +0100

> Although the script is called, and it works like it should,
> the values it's recieving are a little bit wrong.
> It's recieving DOS-style truncated filenames, which makes
> the script useless.

I'm confused. You say it receives the filename and works.
Then you say its useless. a working program sound useful
to me....?

> F:\mp3s\electronica, the script recieves the parameter of
> F:\mp3s\ELECTR~1.

But to windoze they resolve to the same place, why is
this a problem? Or are you trying to display the
long path name to the users?

> Alternately, is anyone good with windows? The right-click menu calls:
> cmd.exe /c "f:\nerd stuff\clipurl.py" %1

Dunno if this would work but maybe putting quotes around
the %1 might work? OTOH it probably just passes a literal
%1 to the program!

> where clipurl.py is the script. Is there a way I could make
> it pass the correct path,

It is passing the correct path, just using a shortened form
of the name....

If you really need the long name then I guess its into
the Windows API via winall....

Alan g.