[Tutor] Python with readline

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:51:05 -0400

On Wednesday, April 17, 2002, at 11:20  AM, dman wrote:

> Yeah, understanding the C compilation environment really does help in
> these situations.

> Where are your readline and termcap libraries installed?  What is the
> error message the build process gives you?

Well, I have the following files with the word "termcap" on my system
(not including man pages):

/sw/include/termcap.h
/System/Library/Perl/termcap.pl
/usr/share/emacs/20.7/etc/termcap.src
/usr/share/misc/termcap
/usr/share/misc/termcap.db

As to be expected, the man page assumes a priori knowledge of whatever
"termcap" is, so it's not very helpful.

And I believe my readline library is /sw/include/readline (if the /sw/
dir looks unfamiliar, it's the equivalent of /usr/local/ used by Fink,
the Unix ported package management app for Mac OS X).

> Do you have sshd running on your system?  (if so you can give someone
> else shell access and they can work with the system to get it built)

Well... one can't be too paranoid when it comes to their system can
they... I don't normally run this or many other services, and to be
honest, while I'd like to get readline up and running, I'm note quite
desperate enough to do it this way... :)

Erik