[Tutor] Wolf scripting language

Risto Peranen iamgod@cc.jyu.fi
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 03:13:26 +0300 (EEST)

I have read some source codes for python and it looks quite good. However,
I'm going to make a scripting language which is more event based and has
single heritance and some other restrictions.

However, Python has extreme nice bundle of libtaries and huge amount of
users so I'm not sure am I doing a smart thing or not.

I guess I will copy-paste some of python features to wolf but we'll see
about that. (Licence for python is just perfect for my purposes)

My point for this silly mail is that if someone can explain how
python compiles source to bytecode (just before executing) I would be
gratefull for advices.

P.S. I hope this mail won't set any flame-wars. Python is great language
for most of the tasks but it's too slow for game- and AI-scripting. I
personally have make my firewall setting quite easy with python. Python is
also great tool for teaching programming. Personally I don't understand
why most universities teach C++ as first-time-language.

P.P.S:
One thing where python sucks just a little bit is extenting. One cannot
mix C/C++ and python so easily as could be done. My language will have
strong typing so it's _much_ easier for me. (Wolf is not designed to be a
good first-time-language so typing is not so bad thing to do). I don't
know yet but it should be possible to add overloading even for return type.

Risto Peranen ( Risto Peränen with proper lang setting )
mailto iamgod@jyu.fi
In the world of freedom who needs Gates?