[Tutor] command line

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:49:04 -0600

All of this is FYI (with a question at the end).

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 03:44:39PM -0800, Kirby Urner wrote:

| >Not in my experience, most long term pros stick by the tools
| >they know really well, editor and debugger mainly and just
| >carve out the code. They know the language etc so well they
| >hardly ever use the "toys". There's nothing so productive
| >as just typing the code in and it works first time! Many
| >experienced pros reach that level of quality after 10 years
| >or so...
|
| Depends what you include in the "toy" category.
|
| I like project management utilities that keep classes,
| forms, reports, data tables in order, and compile only
| changes (ala make).  Templates and dialog box driven
| builders of various types also save time.

Personally I hate "wizards".

| Helpful and useful:  a visual class browser,

yes

| code rollups,

This is called "folding" in vim (version >=6).

| and, of course, a way to develop GUI forms by simply
| dragging and dropping widgets from a palette ala VB
| (an IDE I've never used).  WYSIWYG interface design saves
| hours, can't be sidelined as "just a Windows thing".

Use glade for the gui part, and then the 'libglade' library in your
code.  Once again it's not an all-in-one solution.  Use the right tool
for each job :-).

| I appreciate that the high-powered *nix editors (emacs
| and vi/vim) are so code-aware that a lot of the IDE perks
| we're talking about are simply folded into the program
| editor (color coding, auto-completion, call tips).  Vim
| not only knows about HTML, but DTML (Zope) and just about
| every other language under the sun.

Have you found a way to mix dtml and sql?  I prefer using vim and cvs
rather than the web-based Z Management interface.  I'd like my Z SQL
Method objects to have both highlightings, but my attempt at a syntax
file has failed.

-D

--

If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO