[Tutor] Symbol re question

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@home.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:32:27 -0700 (PDT)

On 18-Sep-2001 robert frank brenart wrote:

> Alright, this should be easy and it's being a pain... I just want to find
> out if my string is all numbers.
>
> So I run...
> if ((re.match("[0-9]+", mystring)) != None):
>       print "Pass"
> else:
>       print "Fail"
>
> But that matches things like 10:45 and 3f, which I don't want it
> to.  What'm I overlooking?

A regex matches any part of a string.  if you want the string to ONLY be
numbers you need to say so in the regex.  Try this:

that says "from the start of my string '^', match a string of numbers
'[0-9]+' then the end of string '$'".  The 'r' before the string tells python
to read this as a raw string and should be used before any regex string.