[Tutor] (no subject)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:43:40 +0100

> emacs has no modes

Oooh religious war flame bait ;-)
Try typing Esc x x in emacs and tell me it has no modes...

But I know what you mean and to all intents and purposes
its true.

> Personally I am used to Emacs commands, and I use jed, which
> is a small editor

Yes, good option, I forgot jed and it does do syntax
highlighting too ISTR.

> I've heard that vi can actually be programmed in Python,

vim has such a build but I've never usede it.

> heard rumours of the same for Emacs.

That would be much more difficult to do - unless somebody
implemented a python intrerpreter in lisp... However its
true the emacs folks are looking at replacing elisp with
Guile/Common Lisp/Scheme but I haven't heard of any moves
to a more radical departiure - it would just break too
many lisp modules...

Anyone got any more info on Python programmed emacs?

Alan G