[Tutor] Learning Python

Rob uselesspython@yahoo.com
Sat, 08 Sep 2001 10:08:16 -0500

Griesbaum@aol.com wrote:

> I'm a complete newbie to programming and have heard from Leo Laporte on Tech
> TV that python is good for people just starting out. Early on in the book I'm
> having some problems. When I type this line in the book under the heading
> (Running Module Files) % python spam.py -i eggs -o bacon I get SyntaxError:
> invalid syntax. Am I reading this correctly in the book? Is the symbol before
> the python a percentage mark? This seems to be an ongoing problem in the book
> whenever I type something exactly the way it is in the book I get some type
> of error message. Is there a better python book to start out with for
> complete beginners? Is there a better book for complete beginners?

In addition to books (which tend to cost money), there are a number of
nifty tutorials out there:

http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/tutoriallinks.html

*Learning to Program* (the second link from the top) is quite handy,
introducing programming concepts using Python and a couple of other
languages for comparison, and has a book version focused on Python in
particular.

*Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours* is another good book for beginners,
as is *Core Python Programming* by Wesley Chun. We're all happy to help
answer puzzling questions, so ask away. There are also lots of working
examples of newbie and other Python code at Useless Python, so you can
find interesting code to play with.

Happy Whatever Day It Is,
Rob
--