[Tutor] os.system(mysql) (Was help)

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:22:54 -0500

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 09:27:07AM -0700, Jackson wrote:

| D --
|
| >So, while what you proposed above is doable, I'd recommend using the
| >programmatic API instead.  The main difference between accessing a db
| >and editing a file is that db's have APIs while most text editors
| >don't.  You could write a text editor, but why?
|
| Dare I raise the spector of Emacs,

No <wink>.

| which does have a sql-mysql mode.

interesting ...

| Although I'm not sure if that qualifies as an API.

Is it a shell-like thing, or is it a set of functions that can be
called programmatically?  PostgreSQL comes with a shell, 'psql', that
can be run and used to interactively execute SQL statements.  An API
is an Application Programming Interface -- an interface for
applications, not people, to use.

-D