[Tutor] async signal/notification & resulting action bet 2 seperate progr ams.

GADGIL PRASAD /INFRA/INFOTECH GADGILP@INFOTECH.ICICI.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 15:36:45 +0530

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0E9B9.65BD72F0

hello,

I am trying to write a generic monitering agent.

There will be some monitoring task for the AGENT_program. This program
(currently) does the reqd check every polling interval. It's basically
doing the monitering in a continous while loop, sleeping the poll_interval
time, for every pass through the loop.

But some things are important enough that I might want an near immidiate
notification rather than at the next poll after the severity of the
monitered
thing changes.

How do I implement such an out of the poll notification ?

I guess, for such a task, the Monitered thing will need to send a
signal/exception/whatever to my monitering program. My monitering program
will
awaken on reciept of such an event, and make another pass through the while
loop.

I checked, signal()/pause()/exception related stuff, in PY-TUT. But, I don't
know
how to send the messages bet 2 diff programs/processes.

Can someone pl. explain what do I need to do in this case ?

regards,

prasad

.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0E9B9.65BD72F0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>async signal/notification &amp; resulting action bet 2 seperate programs.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>hello,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I am trying to write a generic monitering agent.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>There will be some monitoring task for the AGENT_program. This program</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>(currently) does the reqd check every polling interval. It's basically</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>doing the monitering in a continous while loop, sleeping the poll_interval</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>time, for every pass through the loop.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>But some things are important enough that I might want an near immidiate</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>notification rather than at the next poll after the severity of the monitered</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>thing changes.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>How do I implement such an out of the poll notification ?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I guess, for such a task, the Monitered thing will need to send a </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>signal/exception/whatever to my monitering program. My monitering program will</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>awaken on reciept of such an event, and make another pass through the while loop.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I checked, signal()/pause()/exception related stuff, in PY-TUT. But, I don't know</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>how to send the messages bet 2 diff programs/processes.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Can someone pl. explain what do I need to do in this case ?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>prasad</FONT>