[Tutor] How Can Install Python 2.0 and 2.1 on the same machin e?

Rob Andrews rob@jam.rr.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:49:38 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "D-Man" <dsh8290@rit.edu>
To: <tutor@python.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] How Can Install Python 2.0 and 2.1 on the same machin
e?

> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:54:13AM -0500, Rob Andrews wrote:
> |
> | > You can also creayte a new right click menu item to run
> | > in either version of Python - say run2.0 and run2.1.
> | >
> | > That way you can click on any Python file and choose which
> | > version of the interpreter to run it with...
> | >

> | I must learn this trick. I know more arcane Windows features than anyone
> | else I know, but this one is new to me.
>
> (I have a win2k box in front of me now so all steps are accurate for
>  win2k,  win9x uses a slightly different naming scheme for menus and
>  buttons but it is fairly similar and I will try my best to remember
>  the right names)
>

> 1:  open windows explorer  (or is that internet explorer?  can't tell
>                             the difference nowadays anyways)
>
> 2:  Tools->Folder Options  (IIRC win9x has this under the 'View' menu)
>
> 3:  click the "File Types" tab
>
> 4:  scroll down to  "PY  Python File"  (it has the icon too, they're
>                                         alphabetical)
>
> 5:  Here it makes a difference which windows :
>         win2k -- click the "Advanced" button
>         win9x -- click the "edit" or some similar button
>
> 6:  Click the "New" button in the dialog that pops up
>
> 7:  give the action a name (ie run2.0 as suggested by Alan)
>
> 8:  give the action a command (ie c:\python20\python.exe)
>
> 9:  click "Ok"
>
> 10: again (click "Ok")
>
> 11: one more time -- did we use enough dialogs yet?
>
> 12: right-click on a .py file to see/verify that a new entry exists in
>     the popup menu

I feel like I must have known this trick at some point in the distant past,
but it's great to know it again. I just ran through it on a Win98SE box and
it all worked just fine. Steps 10 and 11 on this box used Close instead of
OK, but to get that close from memory is impressive, D-Man.

-Rob

Useless Python
It's not just for breakfast anymore!
http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/pythonsource.html