[Tutor] singleton pattern

Roeland Rengelink r.b.rigilink@chello.nl
Fri, 18 May 2001 19:59:14 +0200

D-Man wrote:

> For those interested in seriously pursuing software development I
> highly recommend the book "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable
> Object Oriented Software" by the so-called Gang of Four (Gamma, Helm,
> Johnson, Vlissides).  The ISBN number is 0-201-63361-2.  It is a
> hard-cover book and costs ~$50.  This book is not for beginners,
> however, and all the example code is in C++ or Smalltalk.  The
> patterns are really good to know and are not language specific.

I'd like to second that.

One of the purposes of the book --which makes it interesting even for
those who cannot yet fully grasp the implementation issues addressed--
is to provide a design vocabulary by naming common design idioms.

For example, this thread would have long ago degenerated into complete
gibberish, if this book hadn't defined the term 'singleton', giving us a
single word for 'a class of which there is, at any time, only one
instance.'

Well, maybe it did degenerate into complete gibberish long ago. Just
imagine, it could have even worse.

Roeland
--
r.b.rigilink@chello.nl

"Half of what I say is nonsense. Unfortunately I don't know which half"