[Tutor] Possible Useless Python Challenge.

Tesla Coil tescoil@irtc.net
Tue, 08 May 2001 09:45:01 -0500

On 7 May 2001, Daniel Yoo wrote:
> I haven't found an LZH decompressor for Python.  In fact,
> the GnomeKISS people are depending on a separate LHA
> extraction program, so perhaps a Python KISS program
> should delegate the handling of LZH compression to the
> LHA utility.

I was going to mention LHA, but the TODO file included
with GnomeKiss source lists to "do LZH natively, and
generally support it better"--from which I infer it's
been judged not the best approach.

A C extension module to handle LZH might assist the
Python World Domination campaign in Japan.  Doesn't
look like Ruby has a library for it yet either.

>> I suppose that a cel file decoder could be cooked up
>> using Python Imaging Library, but I've no experience
>> in that department at all.  Other than that, I guess
>> one is up against reading .cnf files generated by a
>> variety of editors and sometimes written by hand.
>
> Hmmm... this actually sounds like a lot of fun!  I'll
> start looking at this... *grin*

I begin to get the feeling if I'd posted the message
to c.l.py, there'd be PyKiss v0.2 by Friday... :}