[Tutor] Windows Programs

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 00:44:50 +0100

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 03:38:28PM -0800, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Daniel Yoo wrote:
>
> > By a Windows program, do you mean one with menubars, buttons, and
> > labels?  If so, then you'll want to look into Tkinter.  (I know that
> > Perl has something similar called Perl::Tk, but for C... hmm... I
> > guess you could work with straight Tk.)
>
> Well, Tkinter is easy and cross-platform but ugh it's ugly (and poorly
> documented).

"An Introduction to Tkinter" by Fredrik Lundh is pretty good, at
http://www.secretlabs.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

However, I think that wxWindows is much better than Tk; it's a cross
platform library that uses the native tools on every platform, so that the
same Python program using wxPython looks like a Windows program on Windows,
a Unix program on Unix, et cetera. Alas, I haven't found good documentation
for it yet (haven't done much research, I rarely need GUI things). But there
was an article on it about two weeks ago at the following URL:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-wxpy

See also http://www.wxwindows.org and http://www.wxpython.org .

--
Remco Gerlich