[Tutor] Sockets -- huh?

Jörg Wölke lumbricus@gmx.net
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:12:32 +0100 (MET)

> : Have you tried telnetlib?
>
> No I didn't.  My reference has been Python Essential Reference, written
> for 1.5 and it said telnetlib was undocumented.  I figured sockets was a
> replacement.  Though telnetlib will be much better for my needs, any
> reason why sockets wouldn't work?

after the setup of the connection via socket telnet
goes through a negotiation process
(don't know the details --- read rfc0854)
peer sends some garbage, setting TERM etc ...
a plain socket won't make it through that to the login prompt
for a programming-example see netcat.c (the part after #ifdef TELNET)

grrrrreetz jö!!!

http://www.gmx.net