[Tutor] Re: Tutor digest, Vol 1 #652 - 15 msgs

Britt Green britt_green@hotmail.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:23:44 -0800

> > On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 04:27:30PM -0800, Sheila King wrote:
> > > I am mildly surprised at the very Unix-centric trend that recent
> > > have taken.
> >
> > I think that's because "daemon" is a Unix term. It has a pretty precise
> > meaning there (see man daemon on a linux system, for instance), but I've
> > never heard the term used for a Windows program...

	I think under Windows (at least NT anyways) they're called "services". But
they seem to be the same thing.

	Just my two cents, but I use both Windows and the Macintosh, but for
coding, I've recently come to enjoy Linux. To me I feel much closer to the
OS than I do with a GUI-based OS. Not to mention free coding utilities!
:)

	As a horrible off-topic aside, someoen mentioned that when they hear of
daemons, they think of Doom. I would invite that person to look at this
link: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/ and see how someone combined
both Doom and daemons! :)

	Now back to your regularly scheduled Python messages.

	Britt

--
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.