[Tutor] [ot] comp.lang.python

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:31:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Remco Gerlich wrote:

> Of course, reading Usenet on the Web sucks. Doesn't your ISP have a
> news server? If not, searching for "free news server" on Google gives
> quite a few sites that list open news servers (but this is not ideal
> since those servers are often open by accident, so you have to find a
> new one now and then). Good newsreaders for Windows are for instance
> XNews and Free Agent. There are some commercial news servers as well,
> but I don't know the names.

In the "excellent but not free" category, I subscribe to newsguy.com which
does really major news serving. It doesn't archive, but they do have a
long expire time. You can read either via the web or via a news server; I
personally run a leafnode server that fetches groups I read from it (it
only gets groups read in the last week).

> > google sucks for snuffing out deja and not replacing it with anything
> > remotely like it. What they have up there now is simply searching. Ughh.
>
> Deja snuffed out itself. Google only bought a copy, Deja could have
> continued if it wanted to, but it's hard when all your computers are
> being sold by people you owe money to...

If deja had stuck to news services and just used banner ads on each page,
they probably would have survived. As it was, they had grandiose plans
that migrated further and further from their original business model and
cost a lot of money.

Heck, they probably could have instituted a subscription service for posts
> 60 days old and some of us would have paid a reasonable quarterly fee
for it.

--
_Deirdre   NEW Stash-o-Matic: http://fuzzyorange.com  http://deirdre.net
                                                         - Douglas Adams