[Tutor] GUI Apps

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 02:37:57 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 Sascharrer@aol.com wrote:

> Is it better to use Tkinter or wxPython for creating GUI-Applications
> with Python? Which of them is quicker? Why is Tkinter the standard
> graphics library for Python?

Tkinter is generally considered the standard GUI interface for Python.
That being said, lots of people use wxPython; even Eric S. Raymond has
been quoted: "Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard GUI for
Python yet?"

A lot of it has to do with the fact that Tkinter already works pretty
well; Tkinter's easy to use, and it works like a charm.  I believe that
Tkinter is also ported to more platforms than wxPython, but then, I could
be completely wrong about this one.  If anyone can talk about the nice
things in wxPython, we can get a balanced discussion about it.
Personally, I've never used wxPython, so I can't say much more about it.

Try it out, and see which one you like.

Good luck!