[Tutor] Python 1.5 or 2.01?

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:34:01 +0200

On  0, Brendon <bren@europe.nl.com> wrote:
> Is there a great difference between the two?
>
> I quickly checked the python.org website but couldn't find a comparison.

You should get 2.1, that is the newest. 2.0.1 is a bugfix release of 2.0.
1.5.2 is two years old.

See the "what's new" lists of:

1.6   http://www.python.org/1.6
     Mostly Unicode, string methods, new regular expression engine,
     f(*arg, **kwarg) syntax, new modules
2.0   http://www.python.org/2.0/new-python.html
     Lots. List comprehensions, augmented assignment, garbage collection,
     print >>, more XML support, more new modules, etc
2.1   www.amk.ca seems to be down, so
     http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:0S9hRbIy5o4:www.amk.ca/python/2.1/+new+in+python+2.1
     Nested scopes (if you use a directive; will be standard in 2.2), weak
     references, warnings, new and improved modules

Taken together, a *lot* has happened in the last two years :-)

--
Remco Gerlich