[Tutor] Please send messages only to the list.

ak@silmarill.org ak@silmarill.org
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:52:53 -0400

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:39:40PM -0700, Sheila King wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:33:24 -0400, sill@optonline.net  wrote about Re:
> [Tutor] Please send messages only to the list.:
>
> :
> :I think mutt's 'L' command replies only to list, do other mail clients
> :have similar commands? I myself never got a double message from this
> :list but I guess it could be somewhat annoying if it was happening all
> :the time.
>
> I think that mutt's "L" command is fairly unique. I, personally, know of
> no other client that has this.
>
> I almost always get double replies to this list, but as I noted, it
> doesn't bother me. (I just made a decision that it wasn't worth it to
> fuss over, because I wouldn't change everyone's opinion on this one.)
> Now, you are using mutt, and apparently used the "L" command, so I
> didn't get two copies of *this* message.
>
> Are you getting two copies of mine? I use Agent and used the "Reply To
> All" command, and it has both the list and your e-mail address in the
> message I'm composing.

Yep, got two of these..

This issue came up some time ago and as I recall someone wanted list to change
it's behaviour so that doing 'reply' to a message would just send it to the
list, and someone else pointed out a few reasons why it's not a good idea,
(in particular, poster's original email may get lost if he has it only in
'reply-to' part of header), and said that all decent clients should be able
to reply to just the list.

I think Eudora pro should have that and emacs and pine, netscape or all/most
webmails and Outlook don't, i'll bet.