[Tutor] Re: Your message to Tutor awaits moderator approval

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:32:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Jesse F. W wrote:

> Hello all,
> tutor-admin@python.org wrote:
> > Your mail to 'Tutor' with the subject
> >
> >     Re: [Tutor] Another problem with urllib
> >
> > Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
> >
> > The reason it is being held:
> >
> >     Message may contain administrivia
> What is administrivia?  Cute term, by the way.

Hmmm...  I'm guessing "administration stuff".  The mailing list manager
checks up on message sent on the tutor list, and if it sees certain
phrases like "subscribe" or "unsubscribe me", it will send it off to the
list moderator to prevent the whole list from seeing the request.
(Hopefully, this message won't get intercepted either.)

There's a great resource called WordNet that's better at this
linguistic/philology stuff here:

    http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/

According to WordNet, "administrivia" is... um... not a word. That didn't
work out the way I expected.  Hmmm... well, WordNet is still a fun program
to play with, and there's even a nice Python module that works with it.

    http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~steele/sources/wordnet-python.html

*grin*