[Tutor] Python2.0 question

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:09:55 +0100

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

Sez Scott Comboni:
> I just decided to check out Python 2.0 and all seems well but for one thi=
ng. =20
> When I execute the interpeter I cannot use my arrow keys to repeat a comm=
and.=20
>  Is there something simple I missed.  I really like this command history=
=20
> feature.  Does anyone know how to turn it on?
> When I do hit the the arrow keys I just get garbage on the screen:
>=20
> Python 2.0 (#1, Jan  8 2001, 15:29:39)
> [GCC 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)] on linux2
>=20

You are missing the readline module.  How to get it back depends on the way
you installed python.

If you compiled from source, edit Modules/Setup and uncomment the line
readline readline.c -lreadline
(or something like that).
You will need readline headers and libraries installed.  Your distribution
should have a readline-devel (or something) package.

If you installed from rpm, you'll need to find a better rpm or compile the
readline module yourself and copy it to /usr/lib/python2.0/lib-dynload.

HTH,
  Kalle
--=20
Email: kalle@gnupung.net     | You can tune a filesystem, but you
Web: http://www.gnupung.net/ | can't tune a fish. -- man tunefs(8)
PGP fingerprint: 0C56 B171 8159 327F 1824 F5DE 74D7 80D7 BF3B B1DD

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--