[Tutor] [Edu-sig] collection of ACM programming problems (fwd)

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:45:47 -0800 (PST)

>From the edu-sig list, Furman Smith mentioned a very nice site filled with
sample problems.  These problems are pretty neat, and I thought it might
be fun to work some of them out.  No time pressure or anything; just to
see what strategies different people choose.

Problem 136 in Volume One asks to write a program that finds the 1500th
"ugly" number.

    http://acm.fi.uva.es/problemset/v1/136.html

*grin*  I think I'll try it out, and see how far I get.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:25:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Furman Smith <furman@sciences.aum.edu>
To: edu-sig@python.org
Subject: [Edu-sig] collection of ACM programming problems

Jeffrey Elkner wrote that he wanted a perfect
case study to add to his free content textbook
"How to think like a computer scientist"
( http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/ ) --
something instructive, easy to understand, fun,
and illustrating the programming ideas introduced
earlier in the book.  "Perfect" is a strong word
but please allow me to mention that I've enjoyed
reading some of the archived problems from the ACM
International Collegiate Programming Contests;
links to the various volumes of problems can be
found at http://acm.fi.uva.es/problemset/ .