[Tutor] Code critique please (OOP strategy)

Grimmtooth grimmtoothtoo@yahoo.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:46:02 -0500

> All the prices are stored in cents. My understanding is that a lot of
> software that works with financial data keeps track of everything in
> cents and converts to dollars when necessary.

That is, as far as I know, correct, or more correct to say that it leaves
out the decimal point. The main reason is that point of sale devices tend to
have limited memory, so the fewer places where floating point operations are
required, the better.

I don't know to what extent you plan to use it, though, so be aware that not
all nations use the same standard. In my company's Latin America
applications, we have to allow for wandering decimal places, including NO
decimal places. So if you intend to go multinational with the app, plan NOW
for a wandering decimal and you'll have few problems in the future. If you
have to bolt it on in the future, like we did, it's a real mess :-)