[Tutor] Pointer to learn.perl.org

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 01:10:32 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Karthik Gurumurthy wrote:

> from your code snippet, the list thing in perl seems odd though.
> everything gets flattened out in the end? unless i do somethign about it.

I didn't mean to get into Perl so much here.  Yes, Perl will flatten
arrays automatically when they're passed as arguments.

> am not sure if the code is ok with perl. i just wanted to ask if a
> function expects 2 arguments, i can send in a list w/o using an apply.
> they don't have to be specified separately while making the function
> call.

The way that Perl passes arguments to a function makes something like
Python's apply()... inapplicable in Perl.

If you'd like to learn more about Perl, the Perl folks have a nice web
site with resources:

    http://learn.perl.org

with an equivalent "Beginners" mailing list.  If you want to talk more
about Perl, the people there would be happy to discuss this sort of stuff.
As it is, I'm feeling very uncomfortable about explaining Perl parameter
passing on Python-Tutor.  *grin*

Happy holidays!