[Tutor] [opinions?] Web development...

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Sheila King wrote:

> AOLserver is very different from AOL It was originally a product
> written by another company. AOL liked the product so much, they bought
> the company in order to use it for their own services. I guess part of
> the purchase agreement was that it continue to be a free product. Hmm.
> I don't recall.

There's more introductory information on AOLServer (formerly called
"NaviServer") that is linked up from philg's "Web Tools Review" web site:

    http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/
    http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/aolserver/introduction-1.html
    http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/aolserver/introduction-2.html

> now...I've been reading it at a sort of leisurely pace.) The problem
> for me is, I'm small time $$$ (personal/hobby) and can't really afford
> colocation, or my own pipe to my house. So, I sort of need to use a
> shared community server. And so I'm with FutureQuest.net, best
> community hosting company on the net. But they run Apache.

There's actually a very neat way to get Apache to identify certain URLs
and transparently redirect them to another server by using the "mod_proxy"
module.  I'm flirting with this right now to integrate AOLServer into an
existing Apache setup.

I'll include the entry I added to do this proxying.  Perhaps someone can
take a look at my httpd.conf entry and see if I opened a severe security
hole in the process... *grin*:

###
# Within Apache's httpd.conf:
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
    ProxyRequests On

    ## Let's get an /aolserver/'ish URL to direct to port 8080
    ProxyPass /aolserver/ http://einfall:8080/
    <Directory proxy:http://einfall/aolserver/>
        Order allow,deny
        Deny from none