[Tutor] How does python find the modules I install ???

Simon Vandemoortele delirious@atchoo.be
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:45:18 -0100

> I haven't worked with Mysql-python, but the sourceforge
> rpm installs to /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages, which
> doesn't work for SuSE >=3D 7.0.  Then, sys.path will be
> looking at /usr/lib/python2.0/site-packages instead.
> But, it's said to be 2.0 compatible--the rpm is spec'd
> that way for Red Hat users, I'd guess.
>
> You could:
>
> import sys
> sys.path.append('/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages')
>
> ...which is a runtime-only alteration, or, you can mv
> everything that was installed to 1.5 site-packages to
> 2.0 site-packages.  Kinda blows rpm -e, but you can
> make a note of it.

Thx, I think that will solve my problem. Two remarks:
1 - Wouldn't it be a lot easier if python kept it's path in a file that c=
an=20
be altered easily ???
2 - Regarding your move solution: maybe I can avoid the rpm -e problem by=
=20
putting a symlink instead of moving the files ???

Greetings from Belgium,
Simon Vandemooortele

--=20
A day for firm decisions!!!!!  Or is it?