[Tutor] determining whether a set is a group

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:43:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hiya Julieta,

Could you tell us some facts about groups?  I do have my abstract algebra
book with me, but it might have different definitions than what your books
have.  *grin* Let's talk about what it means for something to be a group.
We might find ways to express these ideas in Python syntax.

> And you're right -- a lot of people learn to program for the same
> reason you do: because they want to do something and they are lazy.
> In fact, I think there's a Linus Torvalds quote about why that makes
> him a good programmer.

The Perl people understand this as the Three Virtues of a Programmer:
"Laziness, impatience, and hubris".

    http://www.netropolis.org/hash/perl/virtue.html

> >and biggest problem is that I'm a computer illiterate and have no
> >clue as to where to start, however, I'm willing to do what it takes
> >to learn.  I know that some help over the internet might not do
> >miracles for me, but I guess it would be a start.  I have the book
> >Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours and I'm reading it, but I guess I
> >need more help.  Can you help me.

We'll do our best to help.  Good luck!