[Tutor] out of memory conditions

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:40:54 -0400

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 12:30:01AM -0700, Daniel Yoo wrote:

| Also, if you're running a Linux 2.4 kernel, I believe that under extreme
| stress, the Linux kernel will try killing processes to keep the system
| from going down.

Just for another data point,  I was using Gnumeric on RH7 a while
back.  I clicked that button in the upper left corner to select all
cells, then changed some properties (size, font, etc).  When I went to
save my work, it took a very long time.  I got a snack, came back, and
was at the GDM login screen.

This was kernel 2.2.16.  I tried again, but used gtop to see what was
happening.  Gnumeric's memory usage keep increasing till the system
booted me.  It must have thought I wasn't playing nice with the other
users (umm, which users?)  ;-).

-D