[Tutor] 'text editor'

Doug Stanfield DOUGS@oceanic.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:42:03 -1000

I'm assuming since you've downloaded the win32all.exe that you use a Windows
platform.  In future that kind of information can help us to answer your
questions.  Any word processor is a text editor so you have several to
choose from; notepad, word pad, or even MS Word.  I wouldn't necessarily
recommend any of those for programming Python though.

Based on the above assumption, you should know that the Windows install of
Python has a very good development system that includes an editor written in
Python by the languages founder.  If you look in the directories that were
installed by the Python installer you'll find 'Tools' with a subdirectory
'idle'.  Within that directory is the executable idle.pyw.  Start that
executable in any of the usual ways and you'll have a Python shell to play
in.  Its the best place to learn the use of new functionality.  Use the
'File' menu to open a 'New Window', and you'll have not just a text editor,
but a Python editor with keyword colorizing and automatic indentation among
other things.

HTH,
-Doug-