[TriPython] TriPython March 2020 Meeting: Quantum Computer Algorithms Using Python

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Thu Mar 5 17:03:42 EST 2020

Travis is going to gives us a hands-on demonstration: https://www.meetup.com/tripython/events/268118331/

When: Thursday, March 26,  7pm

Where: Caktus Group, 108 Morris, Durham

What: To participate hands-on (optional) at this meetup, bring a laptop and create an account at:

https://quantum-computing.ibm.com/login

This talk will explore quantum computing (QC) and the opportunities and challenges that exist within the field. Many of the development frameworks use Python (including IBM and Rigetti) giving this community, in particular, an advantage in learning and building QC-related software.

This presentation will cover:
- Quantum computing basics
- Myths about quantum computing
- Industry landscape
- Applications of quantum computing
- Open challenges
- Algorithm examples using Python

Travis Hurant is a student and researcher in the Electrical Engineering department at North Carolina State University where he focuses on quantum algorithms and quantum error mitigation. Travis is also the CTO of Indi Individuals (https://indi.com/individuals) and a software engineer.

Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others.

Park in the municipal deck on the other side of the Arts Council across W. Morgan St. We will have an after-meeting for food, beverage, and networking at Bull McCabe's only half of a block from Caktus.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute