[TriPython] TriPython Quarantine Reboot: Call for Speakers August 27th

Eric Thomson thomson at neuro.duke.edu
Mon Aug 10 10:18:40 EDT 2020

Hi everyone:

With inspiration from Tiago Mendes, we've decided to run TriPython meetups online, with the first meeting Thursday August 27th at 6pm.  Each meeting has one 'featured' speaker who gives a talk on a topic of their choice for 30+ minutes, followed by short lightning talks from the audience.

We are still in need of a featured speaker for our inaugural quarantine Tripython meetup!

Please don't feel like it has to be a super polished presentation on a package you wrote from scratch . It can just be your first thoughts on some useful things you have learned about a third-party package that you have incorporated into some code. For instance:

  *   Are you working a site using Django 3.0? What is that like?
  *   Did you create a simple gui to make it easier for people to interface with your back end?
  *   Have you started using holoviews or bokeh, and can explain some basic concepts about how they work vs matplotlib?
  *   Have you recently switched from numpy to pandas for your analysis (or vice versa)?

Issues like this are really interesting, practical, and often translate into usable code or practical knowledge for people.

If you have anything like this you think you might want to present, or even if you are not sure and just want to chat about it, please contact me or Chris Calloway (cbc at unc.edu). I think we can have a vibrant online TriPython meetup -- quarantine style -- going forward!

Thanks again to Tiago Mendes for encouraging this move 🙂

Best,
Eric

Hi, TriPython. Eric and I discussed rebooting fourth Thursday TriPython meetings using RENCI's Zoom (we have an unlimited license). We also discussed doing it every other month to interleave with the every-other-month PyData Triangle meetings. And we discussed having those meetings start at 6pm instead of 7pm since cross-Triangle travel to a meeting site will not be involved.

So, consider this a call for speakers. If you would like to the featured speaker for an online meeting on Thursday, August 27 at 6pm, please speak up on this list. We will also have lightning talks. And with this much notice, we ought to have some really good lightning talks. Maybe also signal your intention to give a lightning talk (let's say 7 minutes) as it will be harder to recognize volunteers for lightning talks at an online meeting. That way, we can have a queue of lightning talkers ready to go.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute