[TriPython] TriPython August 2018 Meeting: Guillotina: The full stack data framework

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Aug 14 18:12:52 EDT 2018

Very excited about this. We’ve had asyncio questions at recent project nights.

http://tripython.org/Members/kahowell/aug-18-mtg

When: Thursday, August 23, 7pm
Where: Red Hat Annex, 190 E Davie St, Raleigh

What: Guillotina<http://guillotina.readthedocs.io/en/latest/> is a new full-stack AsyncIO Resource API framework designed for large data sets. It has roots in Pyramid, inspirations from Django, out of the Plone community but completely AsyncIO. Learn about AsyncIO<http://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio.html>, when/why/how you can use it, how Guillotina is designed with it to manage large data sets, and how to use Guillotina with containers to develop, test and deliver your applications. The target audience are Python developers interested in AsyncIO, REST, Microservices and distributed computing. Some background knowledge in AsyncIO might be helpful as there will be demonstrations and we’ll go through AsyncIO code; however, we’ll keep things simple enough for any Python engineer to be able to follow. Our speaker, Nathan Van Gheem<http://github.com/vangheem>, has worked in Python open source web technologies for almost 10 years. He has been part of the Plone open source community for many years leading the Security, UI and framework teams. He is currently the maintainer of the Guillotina.

Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. Lightning talks are for you to "show and tell" something you've learned about Python recently, no matter how small. We all use Python, therefore, we are always learning something new about Python that we can tell others.

Parking is at the City Center Deck, 429 S Wilmington Street, which is $1 per 30 minutes, and free after 7pm. The Annex adjoins the deck. Street parking is free after 5pm in downtown. An after-meeting location for food and beverage will be decided at the meeting. Come join us for a fun and informative evening.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute