[TriPython] TriPython June 2016 Meeting: Is your refrigerator running Python? MicroPython - A Python implementation running on bare metal

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Jun 14 12:44:41 EDT 2016

Greg Frazier has graciously agreed to show us MicroPython at our meeting next week. This meeting will be at our new venue for Durham monthly meetings: Iron Yard Durham, located in the American Tobacco Underground.

Because this is our first meeting at Iron Yard, you need to pay attention to a couple of tips for finding the meeting and parking. Unfortunately I will not be able to be at this meeting. But there will be an emcee, hopefully from PyLadies.

American Tobacco South Deck normally has free parking for Iron Yard. See the map here: https://americantobaccocampus.com/parking/ . However, our meeting coincides with a Durham Bulls home game. There will be a parking attendant at the South Deck charging $5 to park Iron Yard advises that is you tell the parking attendant that you are attending a meeting in the American Tobacco Underground, then you should be able to park for free. I hope this work for you.

Once you have parked, find your way to Iron Yard with this pictorial guide: http://tripython.org/Members/cbc/iron-yard-durham-location.png/ .

Please thank our new hosts. We are lucky to have such a nice place to meet. I'm sad to see Bull City Coworking throw in the towel. But I think we'll also be very happy in our new Durham home (in addition to project nights at Caktus).

You can decide on an after-meeting location. Tyler's Tap Room and Mellow Mushroom are within steps but are only open until 10pm. I have a suggestion. Tobacco Road, http://www.tobaccoroadsportscafe.com/ , is only a few more steps and is open until midnight. Research Triangle Analysts have had after-meetings there that have been very enjoyable. It's not crowded and they can seat everyone at a long table. They have very good food and drink and are not expensive. From American Tobacco, cross Blackwell St and it's half a block up an unnamed alley on your right. You'll be facing the Aloft Hotel parking deck. There are stairs up to the entrance. The address says S. Mangum, but it's not really on the street; it's on the alley. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Iron+Yard+-+Durham,+334+Blackwell+St+B017,+Durham,+NC+27701/Tobacco+Road+Sports+Cafe/@35.9922423,-78.9055671,16.81z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89ace46ceeacf78f:0xc39d4f3cc221935d!2m2!1d-78.904495!2d35.993008!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x3f40f7f0ed05a781!2m2!1d-78.9034289!2d35.9925407

When: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 7-9pm
Where: Iron Iron Yard Durham, Turing Classroom (B015), American Tobacco Underground, 334 Blackwell St, Durham

What: MicroPython is optimized to run fast and lean without the need for an underlying operating system. Damien George spearheaded the development of MicroPython with a Kickstarter Campaign funded in 2014. This talk will cover a brief history of MicroPython, optimal use cases, current packages, future development and a short 'hello world' level demo of MicroPython running on an ESP8266 WiFi enabled Microprocessor. Greg Frazier presents. Greg is a Business Analyst with a past in electronics development and semiconductor testing. Greg is new to Python and coding in general. Extemporaneous "lightning talks" of 5-10 minute duration are also welcome and don't need to be pre-announced. This will be our first meeting in our new Durham location, Iron Yard Durham, which is the American Tobacco Underground downtown. There is free parking in the American Tobacco South Deck at 705 Willard Street. Because there is a Durham Bulls home game at the same time, you will need to tell the parking attendant that you are attending a meeting in the American Tobacco complex in order to avoid a $5 charge. The meeting will be followed by our usual after-meeting at a nearby tavern for food and beverage. Come join us for a fun and informative evening.

Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute