[TriZPUG] Fwd: SciPy 2015 Call for Proposals

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Feb 20 17:44:12 CET 2015

FYI...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	SciPy 2015 Call for Proposals
Date: 	Thu, 19 Feb 2015 18:02:44 -0500
From: 	SciPy 2015 Organizers <scipy-organizers at scipy.org>
To: 	cbc at unc.edu

<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://scipy2015.scipy.org/ehome/index.php%7CQ%7Ceventid%7CE%7C115969%7CA%7C>

    Mark Your Calendar: 14th Annual SciPy Conference to be held July
    6-12, 2015 in Austin, Texas

The annual SciPy Conference
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://scipy2015.scipy.org/ehome/index.php%7CQ%7Ceventid%7CE%7C115969%7CA%7C>
gets bigger and better each year, and 2015 is on track to be no
exception. The 2014 conference saw substantial growth in overall
attendance, tutorial attendees, and sponsors. We expanded the general
conference to a third day, held our popular domain-specific
mini-symposia for the second time, and offered our first job fair.

We want to thank everyone who provided their feedback last year - with
your input, the organizing committee is hard at work to make this the
best SciPy yet! Stay tuned - we'll continue to provide details on
tried-and-true favorites and new additions for this year. Meanwhile,
mark your calendars for:

  * *SciPy Tutorials:* July 6 - 7, 2015
  * *SciPy Conference:* July 8 - 10, 2015
  * *SciPy Sprints: *July 11 - 12, 2015

    Call for Proposals is Open NOW: Submit Tutorial and Talk Ideas!

Have you been working on something new and interesting? If you have
software of interest to the SciPy community, tools or techniques for
more effective computing, or an example of how scientific Python was
applied to solve a research problem, we want to hear from you. Submit
your talk or poster proposal
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://www.scipy2015.scipy.org/eselectv2/frontend/index/115969>by
April 1, 2015. See more below, or visit the SciPy 2015 website
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://scipy2015.scipy.org/ehome/index.php%7CQ%7Ceventid%7CE%7C115969%7CA%7C>
for full details.

      Submit a Talk or Tutorial Proposal Here
      <https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://www.scipy2015.scipy.org/eselectv2/frontend/index/115969>

      Need some inspiration? (or still catching up from last year!?)

  * Previous year's conferences with talk information
    <https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://conference.scipy.org/past.html>

  * SciPy 2014 Talk & Tutorial Video playlist
    <https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://www.youtube.com/playlist%7CQ%7Clist%7CE%7CPLYx7XA2nY5GfuhCvStxgbynFNrxr3VFog>
  * SciPy 2013 Talk & Tutorial Video playlist
    <https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://www.youtube.com/playlist%7CQ%7Clist%7CE%7CPLYx7XA2nY5GeTWcUQTbXVdllyp-Ie3r-y>

    Teach & Learn: Submit a Tutorial Idea

The SciPy experience kicks off with two days of tutorials. These
sessions provide extremely affordable access to expert training, and
consistently receive fantastic feedback from participants. We're looking
for submissions on topics from introductory to advanced - we'll have
attendees across the gamut looking to learn.

*Tutorial proposals from individuals or teams that would like to teach a
tutorial at SciPy 2015 can be submitted here
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://www.scipy2015.scipy.org/eselectv2/frontend/index/115969>
until March 16th.*

Whether you are a major contributor to a scientific Python library or an
expert-level user, this is a great opportunity to share your knowledge
and offset some of the costs of your SciPy 2015 attendance.

    Let's Talk About It: Propose a Talk or Poster

      *Talk and Poster Presentation Tracks*

The conference will include both a general SciPy topic track as well as
two 2015 theme tracks. Have a topic of interest to the community? Submit
a talk or poster proposal
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://www.scipy2015.scipy.org/eselectv2/frontend/index/115969>before
April 1, 2015.
*
Python in Data Science*
The explosion of interest in the field of data science has increased
demand for methods to analyze massive and heterogeneous data sources in
the search for meaning and pattern identification. Given its flexibility
and power, Python has become a central component of the data science
toolset as reflected in a number of actively developed packages in the
areas of knowledge discovery, data mining, machine learning and natural
language processing, among others. This special track will bring
together researchers, developers, and industry analysts to focus on
efforts to promote and develop Python for data science.

*Quantitative Finance and Computational Social Sciences*
The frontiers of finance and the computational social sciences have seen
a revolution in the widespread adoption of new computationally based
methods for the analysis of markets and other socioeconomic systems.
 From the application of agent based modeling of investor behavior, to
the microsimulation of urban segregation processes, analysis of social
networks, and the macroeconometric modeling of international economic
growth and inequality, Python is increasingly adopted as the
computational language of choice. This specialized track will focus on
Python libraries, tools, and techniques in quantitative finance and
computational social science.

      *Domain / Industry Mini-symposia*

This year's conference will also bring back the popular mini-symposia, a
unique opportunity discuss scientific computing applied to a specific
scientific domain/industry. The goal is to gather people with similar
interests for discussions and to promote domain-specific libraries and
tools. We're looking for talk and poster submissions in the following
areas:

*-Astronomy and astrophysics

-GIS

-Geophysics

-Oceanography and Meteorology

-Computational Life and Medical Sciences

-Visualization, Vision, and Imaging

-Engineering *

    3 Ways You Can Help Make SciPy 2015 the Best Yet:

*1) Contribute to the conference learning and information sharing:
*submit a tutorial you can deliver or a talk or poster proposal
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://www.scipy2015.scipy.org/eselectv2/frontend/index/115969>
about a new or interesting project or tool.

*2) Share information about the SciPy Conference*with colleagues, peers,
or potential sponsors to help us continue to grow and learn from a
broader community. (Hint: Here's an easy link to the sponsorship
prospectus
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/emarketing/go.php?i=177611&e=Y2JjQHVuYy5lZHU=&l=http://scipy2015.scipy.org/ehome/115969/259285/%7CQ%7C%7CA%7C>)

*3) Help the organizing or program committees:*  do you have domain
expertise in this year's tracks or mini-symposia? Want to give back to
the community? We still need committee volunteers and program reviewers
- contact us at scipy-organizers at scipy.org
<mailto:scipy-organizers at scipy.org>for more details.